Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Bass Care in Warm Water from Sure Life Inc.

8K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  anglerslodge 
#1 ·
I was able to get this info straight from Lane at Sure Life.....

Bass Care In Warm Water Conditions

The following guidelines and instructions have been formulated in an effort to reduce initial and delayed
mortality on one of our premier fishing lakes. We as tournament anglers are under scrutiny due to the recent
high mortality rates observed here from other tournament anglers and organizations. We need to make sure
that we as anglers take every step and precaution to help preserve
the quality of this fishery. Please read the following instructions very carefully and do your
best to implement these instructions, as you and every other angler during a event
are part of a grand solution to prove that a tournament can be conducted with high bass survival rates and we can leave a lake in as good a shape as we found it. If we do not show
respect and concern for the fishery and others like it, the no angling public and regulating authorities may take
action and impose tournament restrictions. Let’s do everything we can to prove that we as ANGLERS are
PROS at keeping bass alive.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BASS LIVEWELL CARE
ITEMS TO BRING: ICE (CUBED) MINIMUM OF 25 POUNDS
COOLER TO KEEP ICE IN
POOL THERMOMETER OR DIGITAL PROBE
16 OUNCE BOTTLE OF 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
ITEMS PROVIDED AT CHECK IN:
CATCH & RELEASE FORMULA (10 OUNCE BOTTLE PER TEAM) FREE
MEASURING DEVICE FOR HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (FREE)
ADDITIONAL ITEM AVAIALBLE @ CHECK IN:
16 OUNCE BOTTLE 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE $1.00 EACH
In an effort to provide the best possible live release during a tournament; We are encouraging you to be
proactive in addressing livewell conditions all day long. Although the weigh in procedure is
critical, your handling of the fish throughout the day is even more critical, since the fish are in YOUR
POSSESSION for the majority of the time. Please study the following suggestions and give them your
utmost consideration.
1. In order to properly condition a livewell, you need to know the approximate volume of your livewell.
We highly recommend that you measure the dimensions of your livewell(s) ahead of time to determine
gallon volume. Use the following formula to determine the water capacity of your square or
rectangular livewell. Using a measuring device (tape or ruler), multiply length times width times height
of water in livewell (all in feet) times the constant 7.5. The result will be in gallons.
2. Fill livewell(s) early (shortly after takeoff) from good water in main body of lake. Do not fill
livewell(s) or exchange water in creeks or coves and especially NOT at take off site. HELPFUL TIP:
If you have separate livewells, fill first livewell early and store bags of ice in second livewell. This will
help keep the primary livewell cool. Afterwards, if you need the second livewell, it will be easier to
cool down. This method will also conserve your ice.
3. IMPORTANT!!!!Treat livewell with CATCH & RELEASE early and recirculate
for a couple of
minutes to thoroughly mix. For a tournament use the following chart to determine proper amount of
CATCH & RELEASE to add to your livewell. MAKE SURE YOU DOSE LIVEWELL BEFORE
YOU START FISHING!!!!
GALLONS OF WATER CAPFUL(S) OF CATCH & RELEASE FROM 10 OZ. BOTTLE
10-15 Gallons 2 ½ Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE
20 Gallons 3 –3 ½ Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE
25-30 Gallons 5 Capfuls Of CATCH & RELEASE
4. CRITICAL!!!LIVEWELL TEMPERATURES. Please keep your livewell(s) as close as possible to
65 degrees Fahrenheit. DO NOT LET LIVEWELL TEMPERATURES EXCEED 68 degrees
Fahrenheit at any time during this tournament. Check your thermometer OFTEN to make sure
temperatures are in target range.
5. Add 3% hydrogen peroxide to livewell once you catch your FIRST FISH. The 3% hydrogen peroxide
will provide adequate dissolved oxygen levels even if you experience livewell failure. Pay attention to
the dosage rates below and do not exceed our recommendations. Repeat this procedure when you start
to operate second livewell upon introduction of fish.
GALLONS OF WATER 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE DOSAGE RATE
10-15 Gallons ½ Cupful (4 Fluid Ounces)
20 Gallons ¾ Cupful (6 Fluid Ounces)
25-30 Gallons 1 Cupful (8 Fluid Ounces)
6. If you catch a heavy load of fish, please exchange water in livewell at least once during the day and
repeat cooling of water, dosing of CATCH & RELEASE and reapply hydrogen peroxide to livewell.
7. IMPORTANT!!!!!!!DO NOT. REPEAT. DO NOT PUMP IN FRESH WATER OR
RECIRCULATE FRESH WATER THROUGHOUT THE DAY. This will defeat the purpose of
cooling the water down and applications of water conditioners. DO NOT OPERATE LIVEWELLS
ON TIMED AERATION. KEEP LIVEWELLS ON MANUAL RECIRCULATION
CONSTANTLY.
8. DO NOT FILL WEIGH IN BAGS FROM WATER OVER THE SIDE OF BOAT AT WEIGH
IN SITE!!!!Fill bags with water from treated and cooled livewells. Dip bags in livewells to fill with
water or pump water from livewell through pump out pumps directly to bags as they hang off side of
boat. To fill bags with water from lake at this point will totally defeat the purpose of all the work you
have done in that livewell throughout the day.
9. TIPS FOR DEEP HOOKED OR WOUNDED (BLEEDING) BASS: Wet hands and try to remove
hook using “through the gill method” working quickly. Do not keep bass out of water for more than 40
seconds. If having difficulty, then place bass in livewell water between procedure and allow it to
breathe for a few moments and resume task of hook removal. If bass has swallowed the hook, then cut
the line close as possible to hook eye and place bass in livewell. If bass is bleeding from body or gills,
apply a pinch of CATCH & RELEASE directly to the wound. While we can’t guarantee that your
bass will live, following these procedures will give them the best possible chance for survival.
10. TIPS FOR PROPERLY HANDLING FISH: Try to keep handling bass to a MINIMUM! Try not to
let bass come in contact with carpet or let bass bounce around on carpet. This will cause extreme injury
to the allimportant
slime coat or skin of the bass. If you do disrupt slime coating from this action, then
this is a good time to rub some CATCH & RELEASE on abrasion. Be cautious not to break jaws of
bass. Once broken, that bass will not be able to feed again. ALWAYS hold bass in vertical position or
use TWO HANDS to support body. Holding bass with single hand by way of mouth in a horizontal
position without proper support will dislocate or break jaw.
If you need technical assistance while fishing the tournament in regard to fish care; please call us on our
cell phones.
Lane Gergely’s Cell (830)5564801
Tony Gergely’s Cell (210)4149315
Last but not least, HAVE FUN and ENJOY YOUR FISHING EXPERIENCE!
Kindest Regards & Good Fishing,
Lane & Tony Gergely
SURELIFE
LABORATORIES, INC.
http://sure-life.com/

See less See more
#6 ·
The 3% H peroxide is a good tip, standard over the counter product.
Keeping the water temps below 70 is also a good tip. The reason for manual circulation is to prevent pumping in outside water to dilute the C & R chemicals, raise the water temps and keep an eye on the basses health.
Need to find out if C & R formula works with the Oxygenator, sodium (salt) can damage the unit.
Would be nice if Lane would visit The BassHole site directly so we can ask questions and thank her.
Tom

#9 ·
oldschool said:
The 3% H peroxide is a good tip, standard over the counter product.
Keeping the water temps below 70 is also a good tip. The reason for manual circulation is to prevent pumping in outside water to dilute the C & R chemicals, raise the water temps and keep an eye on the basses health.
Need to find out if C & R formula works with the Oxygenator, sodium (salt) can damage the unit.
Would be nice if Lane would visit The BassHole site directly so we can ask questions and thank her.
Tom
Lane will prolly join but here is her response:

Joe,

Yes, Catch And Release can be used in conjunction with the Oxygenator system.

Thanks,
Lane

#10 ·
This is also from Lane:

The oxygenator generates highly unstable
Ozone that rapidly breaks down to pure O2. Ozone reacts with salt molecules to create chlorine
which is toxic to fish. Even small amounts of naturally occurring salt can generate chlorine. Both
Catch And Release along with Please Release Me contain dechlorinators which remove chlorine.
Hope this info helps.

Lane

#11 ·
If you have an Oxygenator; do not add salt water to the livewell as suggested by Gene Gilliland. Oxygenators were not on the market when Gilliland printed his catch and release article and salt is obviously detrimental to it's functioning properly. It's never a good idea to mix different livewell additives.
I would also be concerned using the Oxygenator when fishing brackish water; like the Sacramento delta, lower Potomac river and Mississippi delta areas.
Thanks, good information for anyone using the Oxygenators.
Tom

#13 ·
oldschool said:
I just found this "Instructions for Falcon lake" on the Sure-Life site.
http://www.sure-life.com/pdf/bass_champs_falcon_tips.pdf
If the tournament TD's and anglers follow these simple instructions survival rates will improve dramatically.
Tom
Lane let me edit the form and it now resides on the Bassholes front page under Bass Biology..

#14 ·
Our state release barges are still set up for salting the water to preserve the slime coating, and they still just pump air, not oxygen. That's apparently a workable alternative to the oxygenator. They do have oxygenators on the tankers used to deliver fingerlings. They showed up to dump a load at Lake Ouachita, but every fingerling floated up dead! It took quite a lot of figuring to discover what went wrong, as they had been adding salt there too. The poor driver was scolded for apparently not turning the oxygenator on in transport, but it was on when he arrived, I witnessed that. I never saw that man drive again, as that wasn't his first mess. Anyway, I was ordered not to tell about that, but now I can. They can't punish me!!!! :neener:

Jim

#15 ·
I am very interested in the use of hydrogen peroxide H202 for use to produce DO or 02, as stated in the Sure-Life information. I know that H202 is commonly used in race cars to mix with fuel which is organic to product 02 to burn more efficiently.
The DO range for most fish is between 3 to 12 mg/L, 7 to 9 being ideal for bass. The ratios for diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide would still require some degree of accuracy as noted in the Sure-Life tips.
There should be some test data available where some survival testing by fishery biologist for the bass that were held in a tank for observation following the H202 treatment.Too high of DO saturation isn't good for the bass.
I have been using the Gene Gilliland recommended (1/3 cup to 5 gallons of water) salt water without seeing any negative issues, although galvanic corrosion can be a big problem for any aluminum tanks or fittings. I like the hydrogen peroxide idea to help livewell circulation problems.
Tom

#16 ·
Hello everybody! My name is Lane Gergely and I co-own Sure-Life Laboratories (fish keeping division) and Legend Laboratories (home of Worm-Glo) with my husband Tony Gergely. We are microbiologists working in the
fishing industry. Tony has been at this for 25 plus years now. Our expertise
is in fish health and disease. Besides ourselves we have a pretty dynamic
team of experts in various areas of fishery science. We consult with them
on a regular basis. We are in the process of totally revamping our website,
and we hope that once it is completed you visit it often. The site will feature a conservation corner section dealing with important issues related
to fisheries. There will also be section where various scientific studies pertaining to fisheries can be downloaded.

The use of hydrogen peroxide to treat external infections and boost dissolved oxygen levels is nothing new, but is none the less controversial
within the scientific community. It is widely used in both public and private
hatcheries to treat many diseases. The controversy comes from the use
hydrogen peroxide by the average angler. Some scientists approve it's usage
and others do not. The ones that don't, cite overdosage as their reasoning.
We however do not agree. While there may be a small number of anglers that would not follow instructions, our opinion is that most can will follow
instructions. Especially if the instructions are precise and easy to follow.
The dosage rate that we recommend is right in the middle of the safety range. Here is how it works. Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. When the peroxide
comes in contact with organic material it reacts to create O2 or oxygen.
Therefore hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer. Some scientists cite gill damage
as a result of overdosage. The gill tissue is relatively tough, and overdosage
would result in damage to slime coat/skin as well as the eyes. 3% hydrogen
peroxide is a low dilution, which is why it is sold over the counter as a disinfectant. The fizzing reaction you see when you pour it on a wound is
the result of the reaction mentioned above. If you were to pour a 15% or
even a 30% solution on your wound it would BURN. In the livewell, the 3%
hydrogen perxoide will boost dissoved oxygen levels by between 3ppm to
5ppm at the recommended dosage rate. This boost can mean the difference
between life or death to the fish. Largemouth bass require a MINIMUM of
5ppm of dissolved oxygen to sustain organ function, smallmouth require a
MINIMUM of 7ppm to 8ppm to sustain organ function. These rates are determined by the average metabolic rate of the fish. Many anglers run
their aeration or livewells on a timer, which WE DON"T RECOMMEND.
With some makes or models of boats it is unavoidable due to poor livewell
design and or batteries. The 3% hydrogen peroxide will boost and maintain the dissolved oxygen levels when aeration fails or can't be used. Yes, there
are risks if it is overused, but the benefits in our opinion FAR OUTWEIGH the
RISKS. It's use has saved thousands of fish from death! I hope that this
information helps anglers have a better understanding of the it's use and the
dangers associated with it's misuse.

#19 ·
Welcome! you will find this board to be helpful and supportive, we rarely get into arguments, just good interaction between the members.
The hydrogen peroxide concept sounds like a good simple solution to help increase the survival of livewell held bass. We are not all diehard bass tournament fisherman, some are. For example I will fish a few charity night tournaments and find summer night tournaments the most difficult to keep livewell bass in good heath. Without sun and wind the DO levels drop, so the hydrogen peroxide treatment and cooling the water temperatures, should both be good for summer nights. I have used your C & R product since it first came out.
Tom

#24 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I will share the mortality results for the BassChamps Falcon
event. There were 2,696.86lbs/585 fish with a tournament average weight of 4.61lbs. weighed in between 2:45p.m. and 4:30p.m. The surface water temperatures were, 76F (morning) and 78F (afternoon). Skies were overcast and windy.

This was a HIGHLY organized tournament and anglers received both printed and verbal instructions from us and BassChamps. Anglers were instructed to release
their fish out in the main body of the lake if they were not in the points race or
did not have enough weight to draw a check. One of our employees announced
the weight cut via loudspeaker. He was also available to fizz fish in livewells if
needed. Only two anglers needed their fish fizzed before release. Anglers were
instructed to use TWO BAGS for their catch and to fill bags with water from treated
livewells. They were assisted every step of the way once they came in.

Seven fish were weighed in dead and penalites were assessed. A total of 14 fish
were pulled and placed into a cooler before release including the 7 dead ones.
NONE OF THE BIG BASS OVER 8LBS EXPIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anglers for the most part
did an EXCELLENT JOB with livewell care. The team of John Mills and Scott Burris
weighed in the second heaviest sack including two fish over 9lbs, and I was
AMAZED at the condition of these fish when they were brought to the staging tanks.

We had a LARGE crowd at the release. There was press, locals, Zapata officials,etc.
The BassChamps staff went into the water to recover weak bass, we deamed these
bass two weak to survive and they were donated. A total of 31 bass were donated
after release. We monitored the release site for three days after the release and we
only found two dead bass on Sunday morning. The north shore in Mexico was also
monitored, we had assistance from TPW gamewardens and local tackle store owners.
The final count as of yesterday morning was 33 bass, just over 5%. Based upon our
years of experience, condition of the fish released, years of delayed mortality studies
including some that we were involved with, we estimate TOTAL mortality to be
approximately 8%. Folks, when you look at the numbers that is pretty darned good.
This could NOT HAVE BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT THE COOPERATION of the anglers
who fished this event. The local grocery stores, gas stations and convience stores
reported selling massive amounts of ice to the anglers. We sold sooo much 3% hydrogen peroxide we are considering going into the peroxide business! It might be
more profitable. At anyrate, it was definately a group effort and proves that a LARGE
scale tournament CAN be conducted with minimal impact to the fishery. It takes effort and work on everyone's part, but it is possible. The bar has NOW BEEN SET!
It was set back in the 80's and now once again.

#25 ·
This was a 3 fish bag limit tournament?
When I first mentioned that limits of tournament caught bass placed in a livewell all day could lead to delayed mortality rates of 28% or higher, unless anglers learned to handle their bass better, you would have thought I was from the radical PETA group from the reaction that created.
Bass tournament fishermen believe that they never kill a bass, they always release them unharmed at the weigh-in or Marnia at the days end.
I believe that the 8% figure is phenomenal when considering the size of the bass caught.
You will get a negative response for letting that many bass die, when in fact that was a great effort and everyone should be proud of the achievement. The anglers used ice to keep the livewell water cool, C & R chemicals and 3% peroxide solution that you suggested and only kept 3 bass in the livewell. How many bass tournament at club levels would handle their bass that well? few if any.
I hope the tournament anglers will take your advice and follow the good handling practices that have proved to perform well.
Tom

#26 ·
Oldschool, BassChamps is a team event with a five fish limit per TEAM. In otherwords
they can only weigh in five fish. There was some discussion about reducing it to
three fish. The decision was made to keep the limit at five since both livewells could
be used. Like I said everything was highly organized, and we consulted with Doug
Hannon daily about the weigh in procedure and livewell protocol. The Hannon weigh in
system was implemented for this tournament. It was developed for BASS by Doug
back in the 80's but when ESPN took over a couple of biologists threw it out. You mentioned one of them in a previous post. At anyrate, it was proven through various
delayed mortality studies to work back then, and it sure worked this past weekend.
I guess those big bass don't read the same books.

BTW, They have large pressurized oxygen cylinders on the 2,700gallon release tank.
Dissolved oxygen and temperatures were closely monitored. The DO started to drop
to critical levels(6.5ppm)when the big sacks started to come in. The O2 was at maximum output. Tony and his assistants quickly added bottles of peroxide to the tank to bring the DO levels to 12ppm. DO and temperature levels must be closely monitored when stocking densities quickly rise. Otherwise you can get into trouble.
We pushed the envelope on this one, but we came fully prepared and had boats in
the water to assist with the release of recovered fish if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.