Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out this morning before the weekend crazies took to their water toys. I caught 7, only 6 of which qualified. I played Stretch Armstrong with my first bass, but try as I might, he still remained 11.5 inches. Upon landing one bass, the hook and the bait fell out of his mouth. I must have just skin-hooked him. On another, I had to carefully dislodge the hook from deep inside the fish. So, two of my photos do not show the bait in the mouth and according to the rules, must be disqualified.

I did not feel right about sticking the fish again and cheating just to make qualification. So.....here are pictures of 6, to take my count to 4.

By the way, the last fish is a nice 16+ inch Smallie, that fought like the devil as all Smallies seem to do. He had some choppers on him like his grand-pappy was a Walleye or something. Tore me up something good. Of course, I became a total idiot after I caught it. I was so enthused about finding Smallies that I immediately cast back to the spot.........

Yup, my line separated and I helplessly watched a hook, a sinker, and most importantly, 1/4 of my Minda Craw arsenal hit the water and sink to oblivion. :wack: :sad2:

CHECK YOUR LINES AFTER EVERY HOOK-UP FOR ABRASIONS AND NICKS!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the others....by the way, the smallest of these was 12" on the nose. Honest!

All of my fish today were caught T-rigged, with a 1/4 tungsten sinker (unpegged) and a 5/0 EWG Gammie. I used a Daiwa spinning reel on a BPS CarbonLite med-heavy rod with 10 lb TransOptic line. I fished the ledges anywhere from 5 to 25 feet. We had a very clear, bright day so the deeper water was actually more productive. I just twitched and lightly hopped the bait on the bottom and through some grassy weeds.

Edited to remove non-qualifying fish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
awesome job! Way to kick this Bait Bash off! :clap: you definitely set the bar high! :D

No worries though folks... 1st 2nd and 3rd place all get prices :D

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
:clap: :clap: Well done, Hawg! I went out today but left the Mindas and code at the house. :wack:

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Hawg Those are some nice lookin fish ya managed to catch :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Y'all just go get em. I am telling you these things catch fish. Check out Warny's post in this forum to see better results than I could manage. Wow!

Toad, pick your venue and go get 'em. I had absolutely terrible conditions today but still managed to get a few. Sometimes the baits are better than you are and you get to land some.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tackle Addict said:
Way to go! what color did you catch em on? I can't wait to get out there and fish with em myself.

Thanks Tackle Addict
These fish were caught on the brown-colored craw. Right before I caught my first little non-qualifying bass, I got hit by a pike. He was not too aggressive, but he hit the craw three times on the way into the boat. I knew what was on the other end of the line and I was reeling the craw in like a crazy man. More proof that you can't out-reel a fish if they are interested in the bait.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well folks, I went out today and caught 4. Only 3 qualified for length, the runt was 11" Actually, one of these fish is just 12". I squeaked by on that one eh?

Look at the size of that 18+ inch-er there. She fought like Sonny Liston. She did 4 tail walks on me on the way into the boat before I netted her. Over 6 lbs too. I couldn't believe how heavy and fat she was. I was quite surprised at her girth and total weight.

Unfortunately, none of these fish qualify. Do you see anything missing in the pictures? Look closely and you will not see a single bait in the mouths of any of these fish. That is because I am a total idiot who seemingly cannot un-learn old habits. I always take the hook out ASAP when I land a fish, and I did so in these cases as well. It wasn't until I uploaded the photos that I realized what I had done. :wack: :wack: :wack: :cussin: :cussin: :cussin:

Dang it all. That hawg there really tore up my craw, which is now about 25% Gorilla Glue from its battles this morning.

Edited to remove non-qualifying fish.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.