Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey, RT, I love them red traps in prespawn too, esp in weedy shallow lakes. I've already been called "lucky" by the same gut because I can't seem to keep a ghost minnow pointer more than 5 casts. :lmao: I have two now, so maybe the breaking will end. About the thread, though, I can't see how knowledge of the fish could possibly hurt. The best year I ever had fishing, I was laid off for about two and a half months in the spring. I just knew where they were at a glance, and I could catch a limit any time I wanted to. Now I've been workin 40-60 hours a week the past couple of years, and every trip is a pre-fish situation. I can't catch a limit to save my butt. But I do have a ton of cool new lures. :baitmonkey:
I said all that to say this. There is no substitute for time on the water. I don't worry too much with the hot new technique, except to try it out. The most important thing is knowing where the fish are and what mood they are in. If you figure that out, you can have a good day. In that regard, there is no such thing as too much info. On the other hand, trouble starts when an angler tries a new technique in the wrong water or under the wrong conditions, just because its the hot new item.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Force feeding lures to bass is a common practice that everyone does at one time or another. We do this to learn a new presentation at the wrong time and place for example. A red hot lipless bait fished along a shoreline during the winter when the bass are in 40 feet of water may not be a good or high percentage presentation. Throwing swim baits on main lake points when the bass are back in the coves or recovering from post spawn, could make for a long day. You may even catch a bass doing the opposite of what the are keying on and thats bass fishing.
Knowing the basics of bass behavior and seasonal patterns helps to eliminate unproductive water and guide you to where the majority of the bass are in the lake. If they are not where they are supposed to, then look where they should not be was my old Arkansas friends motto...and why not rip that red trap while your at it, I'll be casting a blk/purple/brn jig outside on deep breaks. Kick back and enjoy the day.
Tom

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Perhaps we should use our knowledge to have a starting point. But if we simplify, & when things are tough our knowledge can used as a "gut" feeling. The more knowledge the more confidence & the better the "gut" feelings. We don't let it overload us but we learn to controll it. I hope I'm making sense.
Rodney

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.