Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

ARTICLE: Keeping Your Catch Alive

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  stevetheteacher 
#1 ·
Just released a new article written by Doug Rupplinger aka Hawg Thrasher Lures here at The Bassholes. This article discusses proper care of your fish during tournaments so that they make it alive and kicking to the scales. :thumbup01:

Enjoy the read :D

Keeping Your Catch Alive

It’s just moments before sunrise, all conversations with your fellow competitors and friends has ceased. You idle over to the livewell check, your heart fills with angst and anticipation as you hear the first boat wind up 225 horses and blast off. This is tournament fishing, and its what we love to do.

Now that blast off is over and you have ran 10 miles to your best fishing hole, you have some decisions to make. What lure shall I begin the day with? Should I start shallow, or a little bit deeper? All kinds of decisions will go running through your head like the boats in blast off running to their holes. That stuff is normal, but there are some decisions you should have made long before you left for the lake in the morning, like; How will I care for the fish I catch?

See less See more
#5 ·
Good article Doug. Thanks for sharing.

As the Conservation Director for the Connecticut B.A.S.S. Federation Nation, I always talk about Tournament Fish Care with our anglers. Since implementing our Fish Care System 2 years ago (modeled after the B.A.S.S. Keeping Fish Alive book) fish mortality has decreased dramatically.

#6 ·
That's an excellent article. I try to follow those plans. I do use the bottle trick. If I forget it I'll even change out the water in the livewell. I do this half wat through the tournament.

On day tournaments I fill the well half way with water and add ice. The water is colder at the tournament starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.