Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First iv got to say 30+mph winds was ruff!!!!!!!!
This was the worst tournament iv ever fished in my life!!!
To start the day out my Boater was 30 min later than he planned on meeting me. When he finally showed up he assured me the game plan was that we would fish slow and deep. Sounds like a wonderful plan except the wind didn't cooperate with that part. I explained to him that I was there last week after the Wonderful info that
Jim-'Ouachita' given me,thanks again, and caught some nice fish 25-35ft of water. We unloaded the boat and drove over to livewell check, for some reason his engine didn't want to stay running so he kept starting and cramming into gear we got up there and we slammed into the dock,engine died, boat in front of us was just instructed to pull away 50ft and pull kill switch. Here we go, the boater starts his boat crams into gear. His boat hits the back of this almost new Triton boat engine cowling, bouncing off of that his boat takes out his light pole. What a wonderful way to start the day.

Not sure if this guy has operated a boat very long. We take off and for some reason with the 6ft swells from the wind and the other 158 boats that have take off before us water is just pouring in on me and he is trimmed all the way up and trying to get on plane,I usually trim down to take off :p,guess different strokes for different fokes. We get to his first spot and the wind is really blowing at this point and I found out that his idea of fishing deep was 12-18ft,oh wait his depth finders didn't work,I knew this by dropping my jig straight down when when calmed for a few seconds. Like i said not being able to fish slow wasn't his fault. As a co-angler I hinted more than once to fish some rock beds and deeper but that didn't happen. Thats just a price a co-angler has to pay.

We make it to another one of his spots and second cast I hang into what seems to be a good fish. I'm sure this guy had very good intensions but when he gets on the trolling motor and goes the same way the fish is going doesn't help with the slack that was in my line, needless to say he come off. Started thinking about how deep i was fishing when first felt the bite and noticed that the wind had blown us way off of course. He decided we needed to be closer in and fish along the moss line. I got to the point that I started fishing on the other side of the boat. We get to another one of his spots later that day and as I'm fishing on the other side of the boat I catch 3-03 according to my handy dandy x-tools scales, with two hours left in tournament we go over and over and back over the spot where i caught that one fish. We get back to the ramp I'm still soaking wet not to mention freezing cold,disgusted with all the B/S, I walk up to the scales and listen I hear we have a new leader 16.xx. Well at that point I was thinking theres really no reason for me to look stupid and weigh this one fish. I got my gear went to my truck and went home.
How wrong was I? I got a call after church sunday that a friend of my buddy's only caught one fish and got a check. I looked when i got home and realized that providing my x-tools scales was close I released my pride and cost me $132. Sometimes you live and learn.

·
Registered
641 Posts
That is a tuff deal man I feel for ya and been there done that. Just remember always weigh your fish in in these events because you just don't know and you still get points, which if you are fishing the whole season and not just for the money those points add up faster than you think. Example, did you read my post? I didn't think I was doing that well either, heck I got a check and now I'm 6th in points..... Better luck next!

·
Banned
539 Posts
I'm sorry I have the patience of Job, but I believe that boater of yours may have taken a swim >:D

Tough luck, but the important part was the growth and leaning experience. Take care and have fun - the rest will come if you stay focused and fish as often as you can

1 - 3 of 3 Posts