Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the longer rods really the best choice? The trend today is longer rods and most bass fisherman consider a 7' medium/hvy, fast action rod the ultimate choice. I disagree and have chosen a 6'3" med/fast action 3 power that is rated for 8 to 17 lb line and 3/8 to 3/4 oz lures as my go to rod for everything except jigs. My jig rod is very similar 6'6" med/hvy/fast action 4 power that is rated for 10 to 20 lb line and 3/8 to 1 oz lures. The only rod that I use that is 7' or longer is my swim bait rod 7' 6" hvy/fast action 7 power that is rated for 15 to 30 lb line and 1 to 6 oz lures. I use a Eglass 6'6' for cranking.
The tournament length limit has been increased to 8' rods for the flipping and swim bait enthusiast. If you are a flipper/pitcher or swim bait caster, then the long rods make good sense. Otherwise a 7' rod for general use, to me, is too long to cast properly. If you are primarily Carolina rigging, then the longer rods help to cast the long leader and weight combination. I don't C-rig often and slip shot rig, so the 6'6" is just right. Casting spinner baits, jerk baits, Texas rigged soft plastics, spider jigs, spoons, etc, the 6"3" is right for me. All my spinning rods are 6'6" med/fast action, 2 power and rated for 4 to 10 lb line
1/8 to 3/8 lures.
What is the right length rod? The one that feels right to you.
Tom

G

·
All I have are 7' rods and I use them for every type of fishing I do. I have used them for a couple of years now and personally like them better than a smaller rod. Just my preferance.

I understand your concept but I just don't have the money to go out and buy new rods for different setups. I wish I did.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I switched to all seven footers and I can't hardly use a short rod I am six feet one and I just prefer the longer feel. I like the line sweeping abilities of a longer rod. When crappie fishing I use a nine footer and would bass fishing if I could find one that didn't weigh so much and had some back bone to it. I think I can controll the bait better with the longer rod.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have rods ranging from 6' to 7'6". Each serves a different purpose. I really like shorter rods for precision and accuracy, but the longer rods produce better distance. Of course, reel quality makes a huge differance when you are using baitcasters, but the longer rod will add another 5 feet to a long cast. That extra 6-12" on the rod, however, can throw your closeup casting out an inch or three, and result in missed fish in the wrong circumstance. By the way, Tom, what kind of swimbait rod do you have? I am kinda looking for one that is 7'6" or telescopic or (ideally) both. I have space issues with the 8-footers.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I use a variety of rod lengths to best meet all the situations I run into. I use a 7'6" MH baitcaster with 12# line for heavy crankbaits 3/4-1.5 oz. I can lob the lures a few hundred feet to schooling bass. On the other end of lengths I have a 5'5" M baitcaster with pistol grip handle and 10# line for quick casting of 1/4-3/4 oz lures where pinpoint accuracy is important and distance isn't. I use that a lot up close to cover in dirty water, up to about 40 ft out. The way I look at rod variety is like a plumber selecting tools for his trade. If all he carried was a 18" pipe wrench he'd be at a loss to handle many jobs efficiently. To get the best combination of reels, line, lure weight, and other factors like water and cover conditions while reducing fatigue as much as possible, I carry 3 spinning combos and 5 baitcaster combos. Line weight runs from 65# on my flippin rod to 6# on a crappie rod.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi steel basser said:
I have rods ranging from 6' to 7'6". Each serves a different purpose. I really like shorter rods for precision and accuracy, but the longer rods produce better distance. Of course, reel quality makes a huge differance when you are using baitcasters, but the longer rod will add another 5 feet to a long cast. That extra 6-12" on the rod, however, can throw your closeup casting out an inch or three, and result in missed fish in the wrong circumstance. By the way, Tom, what kind of swimbait rod do you have? I am kinda looking for one that is 7'6" or telescopic or (ideally) both. I have space issues with the 8-footers.
Years ago when musky fishing in Canada I bought a Fenwick rod that today is available from Cabela's under the Fish Eagle II label #GMU764 and still use that rod for swimbaits; 7' 6", 15-30 line, 1 pc hvy/fast a good rod for only $80.Though Don Iovino I can get Lamiglas rods and use their XC767 swim bait rod and is very similar to the old rod except higher quality and faster action at $180.
Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let me throw my 2 bits worth in on Rods. I am alot like some of you in that I use a different rod for different items, but I still believe confidence in what YOU are doing is the best bass catcher out there.

I can put a big spinner bait on a 7 footer and feel lost, but it's natural on a 6'6", I cannot pitch, which is my #1 go to style, without my 7'6", I crank with a 7' fiberglass medium action and I top water flukes and frogs with a 7' heavy action, but walk hard toppers with a 6'6" medium action.

Guess I'm wierd but I noticed this the other day, I have 1 med. heavy rod in my arsenal and have noticed 90% or better of my tourny partners use this rod in our area almost totally. I'm not a med hvy fan I guess, I want alot of give or break their neck set, not much for the in-between.

I DO carry tooooo many rod reel combos when I go, just, just, just,,,can't seem to weed any out. Average in my boat at any given tourny is, geez I'm embarrased to say,,,,,,,,,19 or 20 LOL. I even have spinning reals, which NO ONE uses down here, it's jig and pig country!

Just remember, It's the best rod for the type fishing your doing, if your comfortable, experiment, I did, now I carry 20 rods everytime I go LOL

cya on the water
Lee

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I find that after trying 7' rods I'm going back to 6'6" rods. I stand 5'8" & have a small boat & I find that the longer rods can be cumbersome. I keep a couple of 7' for pitching but that is about all. I'm also paring back the number I take with me, small boat blues, I'll carry no more than 12 & might cut back to 10. The rod length works for me, I just need to see if the numbers hold up.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
I use 7 foot rods primarily. I have 2 rods that are 6'6 and it throws me out of wack when I use them after being use to my 7 footers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts