Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at the lee bottom pour 10 lb pot but it says do not use wheel weights, wheel weights will ruin pot anyone no if this is true and if so what is the best kind of lead to use.

ty for any info

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have heard that too and it is more than likely because the wheel weights are so dirty. All those contaminants might ruin it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i wonder if you can use them as long as you clean and flux in some thing else first.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Just don't put the clips in the pot. Cut them off with a hatchet or bolt cutter.

My pot is 20 years old and I have melted most types of lead known to man it that thing. The problem with wheel weights is they contain some alloys like antimony which make them harder than plumbers lead. It takes a hotter pot to work well with them and sometimes you have to do stuff like smoke or crack the mold to get them to pour well.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Racing Eights it is best to clean wheel weights in a
piece of 12" steel pipe which has had a cap welded
onto it 12" deep or get a cast iron wash pot that was
used back in the 1800's thru 1960.

Folks now days use the wash pots as a planter.

Dave

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
From what I understand there are a lot of impurities in wheel weight lead. I have purchased some lead on ebay and some of it is good some of it was horrible. OK for jigs not ok for split shots. I found a site that was linked somewhere on here that sells like 98% pig lead which is what we want for pouring lead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts