Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went to Santee Cooper last weekend and mostly explored the upper lake, Lake Marion. So this weekend I decided I needed to get to find my way around the lower lake, Lake Moultrie. Again I ran all over the place and spent more time map reading, gps/sonar watching and riding. I found some awesome places that I never knew existed!

I wish I could takes the paths from my GPS and put them on my PC but I will have to wait before I can get the software that will allow me that BUT here is an image that I drew paths on to show most of where I rode yesterday. Between last weekend and this weekend I put over 120 on the water miles on my boat. It's definitely gotten a good work-out ;)

The sad part is I still have 76% of the upperlake unexplored and well.. you can see how much of the lower lake I have yet to explore. I will never several more weekends for each lake to explore teh rest.
My tournament is next weekend. I have no idea where we will be launching at but I figured with what I have explored now I will be ok. I found dozens of potential spots to fish, and while I didnt really get to pre-fish those spots, my plan is see what the weather does all week, what the weather is doing tournament morning, where we put in at and then choose the best spots for the current conditions from the spots I found the last two weekends. Im hoping it works out. I really wish I had a couple more weekends before the tournament so I could pre-fish a bit but regardless I will have fun :D

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
sounds like you had fun. did you get yout trolling motor back yet?Exploring ????most of the lakes around me if you tried really hard you could fish most of the water with a spinnerbait in a day.OKAY so they call them resivoirs.I was hoping to take the boat out today with the wife and kids BUT of coarse i planned on going so the wife and my son are sick. :wack: :wack: :wack: . it usualy just rains when i plan on going.I did get to hear my outboard running yesterday (in the back yard) and that didn't make me feel any better,i need to go FAST just for a few minutes.
sounds like you had a good time.
rich
PS it is going to be 80 here today bluebird skies and a small south wind,middle of next week will be back to low 60,with 40's at night.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Man, I am so- like- Jealous... :D Sounds like you're having fun with your new toy, and that's all that matters. Where is Santee Cooper, exactly, anyway? How far is it from Florence?

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Santee Cooper is about 45 mins from Florence at the closest. Meaning it depends on what area of Santee you wanna launch from. From Florence it can be as close as 45 mins and as far as 2 hours Id say.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You and anyone else whod like to, come on down and we will go fishing :D

·
Banned
539 Posts
That would be cool, it would be like a homecoming for me. It has been years since I fished Santee. I have to admit on the way back to Florida after my NC FLW event the boat really wanted to stop and fish but I was running late and the weather (of course) was terrible with 30mph winds. When I crossed the upper lake on I-95 at Santee the lake was white capping and you could surf on the spikes. If you put something together let me know I would love to try and make it

I saw two areas on your graph that use to produce for me - Russellville flats - may even give up a few late spawners and around Angles there use to be some fish attracters that spooks, spinnerbiats, cranks and any kind of trap except RED produced LMB year around.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
It looks like you hit both of my holes :cussin: . Just kidding, I tried both sides of the lake Saturday and broke one off in the hatchery and missed two on the horny toad in that duck pond next to the community hole.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL Ziggy!

I actually didnt fish the lower lake Saturday. I did run to The Jungle but it was a short lived visit as I was already feeling terribly sick and it got even worse while at The Jungle. On a brighter note, I saw the HUGEST gator I think I have ever seen on santee in The Jungle that day. His head from the eyes to the nostrils looked 3 foot long if it was an inch. Id have to say he was atleast 16 foot. I mean he was GRRRRRRRRRRRRRROWN!!! LOL I tried to get in for a close look and a picture but he went down before I got close enough.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
So much work to fool something with a brain the size of a pea :tongue2:

JK. Looks like you're set for battle.. I just cant believe you didn't wet a line at some of the spots.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Ziggy said:
It looks like you hit both of my holes :cussin: . Just kidding, I tried both sides of the lake Saturday and broke one off in the hatchery and missed two on the horny toad in that duck pond next to the community hole.
If they are still there (it has been years) when you are at the Hatchery line up the smoke stacks around Pinopolis and the one in the direction of Bonneau. You should find a deep ditch -12 to 15ft or better with stumps and grass. The depth fluctuates up and down and sets up numerous underwater points and ridges. Float that track using the wind if possible to setup a good drift with a Carolina Rig. I always used a zoom watermelon, green pumpkin or chartruse pumpkin 8" lizard

This area was always good for a few kicker fish no matter the season. During the spawn you will pick up a few big girls as well. Give it a shot and let me know if it produces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts