Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I bought some bags of these in different colors and if I remember correctly did catch a bass or two on them about three years ago. They stopped working after that and now they collect dust. I originally used a long shank, wide gap Cabela's jighead with the head inside (like that for a tube). I tried a weedless football head with the head outside, but the weed guard seemed to get in the way.

The lures are hollow and the only real action is provided by the claws - kind of like the real thing when a craw swims backwards. My questions are:
Has anyone ever been successful using them? and Any suggestions for rigging?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Put it on a jig or carolina rig it weedless and rip it through the weeds.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i once caught a bass on a 4in red shoe lace...(honest) so I say yes they will catch fish it's close to a huddle bug it'll catch

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
You caught fish on them, then it sounds like you set them aside, even if you don't want to buy more I'd still use them the way you rigged them before. Like every other lure out there they have a time and place, remember the "A" rig, it was supposed to decimate fish stocks, well, not so much, they have their time and place and you don't see them being used that much. I'm as guilty as anyone of buying a bait, trying it, maybe a fish or two, then setting it down for the next "secret weapon". I did that with the Sluggo, big mistake, now I'm back to using them for more than one technique. The bottom line, experiment with the bait, you may find more ways to use it and alternative methods of rigging that work well.
Rodney

·
Registered
519 Posts
A couple years ago these were my go-to lures in the fall....especially in the creek beds and shallow channels. Rigged it on a very lite weedless jighead (can't remember the weight) and hopped it-crawled it to mimic a crawfish scooting backwards. It was deadly!!!! The one off the wall thing I do remember doing was to take a twist tie off a loaf of bread and wrapping it around the craws tail near the jighead to keep it from sliding down the hook. I've tried this lure in the same waters, same time of year, same weather and water conditions, every year since and can't buy so much as nudge from a bass. ??????? :dunno: Oh well.....just my 2 cents worth :chug:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh well.....just my 2 cents worth
Sounds like that may be all their worth. :sad2:

Rather than use a bread twist tie:

I should probably patent the idea. It's far better than using glue!!!!!
The wire is plastic coated and used for floral arrangements. A 30 yd spool goes for a
few bucks and would probably make grub/worm/creature/trailer keepers for 500 jigs, including skirted jigs. When I order jigs on Ebay, I prefer no barb and then attach the keeper wire. Soft plastics last for far more fish and can be used over and over after swaps.

Mums the word about this idea ... shhhhhh!

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
SENKOSAM said:
Oh well.....just my 2 cents worth
Sounds like that may be all their worth. :sad2:

Rather than use a bread twist tie:

I should probably patent the idea. It's far better than using glue!!!!!
The wire is plastic coated and used for floral arrangements. A 30 yd spool goes for a
few bucks and would probably make grub/worm/creature/trailer keepers for 500 jigs, including skirted jigs. When I order jigs on Ebay, I prefer no barb and then attach the keeper wire. Soft plastics last for far more fish and can be used over and over after swaps.

Mums the word about this idea ... shhhhhh!
Nifty idea. :thumbup01:
Rodney

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. No more grubs sliding down the hook after a few fish. Of course those who sell
grubs, shads and other designs, won't be too happy if more people use the idea! :cussin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My buddy bought some of those craws at the top of the page. We caught two on them off the bank. I did not like them as much as some other craws though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Strike King Rage Tail Lobster

is the only craw I have ever had success on, they in my opinion they look nothing like a crawfish

I think the claws movement drive bass crazy

in my experiance bass attack craws not like they just wanna eat them, they attack them like they wanna totally destroy them

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm totally with you using that design and two others I pour!

and

The top one has fluttering tails when swimming a jig; the bottom one has a wild flapper action like the Rage Tail Craw.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I still use them texas rigged with a tube rattle. Mostly when the bite is slow. I also fill the cavity with anise jell. will also use them as a jig trailer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts