Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the original, just the allcharge. I have my onboard charger hooked up to my cranking battery so I can still plug it in to top everything off. My charger shows green lights when my cranking battery is charged. My question is, can I leave it plugged in overnight? my "smart" charger says my battery (cranking) is charged but the allcharge cycles throught constantly. Don't want to "overcharge" my batteries. Also, is a voltmeter the only way to know if the trolling batteries are fully charged?

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
hmm, most of the smart charges shut off when the batteries are charged. I have a cheap 1 bank charger I plug into my cranking battery and the allcharge goes through its paces and once all the batteries are charged my charger shuts off. I would think your onboard charger would do the same things. The best way to check battery voltage is with a voltmeter. They do however make voltage gauges that you can run wires to the batteries and monitor them nonstop.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, most chargers won't shut off, but they will go into a maintenance mode. since the charger is not charging the troller batts. (the all charge is) I want to be sure it "maintains" and not over charge.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Unfortantley most chargers are different on how they maintain batteries. If it is smart charger and it checks the status of the batteries then it should be ok to leave on with no problems. The only way to know is to maybe leave it on when you can check it every so often and then you will know what it is doing. the battery lights on those chargers are usually not as good as a digital volt meter so I always suggest you keep on around and check them with the meter every so often. I wish I had a better answer about the AC chargers but I just don't except to check them yourself and seehow yours acts and not what everyone else says they do. Good luck and if I can help please call me anythime. :stayncharge:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I will say the AllCharge never turns off and continuously cycles. Just want to be sure this is safe for extended periods. Will it ever overcharge the batteries? Thanks Jim.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
dchance said:
No, most chargers won't shut off, but they will go into a maintenance mode. since the charger is not charging the troller batts. (the all charge is) I want to be sure it "maintains" and not over charge.
Sorry, I figured maintenance mode was the same thing. It just puts enough charge on it to keep them full. I'm not sure how it would work alternating batteries, but sounds like Jims on top of things, as usual. :stayncharge:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buzbait88 said:
dchance said:
Sorry, I figured maintenance mode was the same thing. It just puts enough charge on it to keep them full. I'm not sure how it would work alternating batteries, but sounds like Jims on top of things, as usual. :stayncharge:
I see what you are saying....I think we are speakin the same language.... :thumbup01:

·
Registered
6 Posts
dchance said:
I don't have the original, just the allcharge. I have my onboard charger hooked up to my cranking battery so I can still plug it in to top everything off. My charger shows green lights when my cranking battery is charged. My question is, can I leave it plugged in overnight? my "smart" charger says my battery (cranking) is charged but the allcharge cycles throught constantly. Don't want to "overcharge" my batteries. Also, is a voltmeter the only way to know if the trolling batteries are fully charged?
Not 100 % sure I understand what you're asking, but I'll try. as long as you're onboard charger is plugged in, the all charge will cycle between batteries. even while in maintainance mode. it give the onboard charger the oportunity to check and top off each battery as it needs. I have left mine plugged in for extended periods with no ill effects on from the allcharge at all. the allcharge will not overcharge you're batteries. but I can't speak for the onboard charger, since they all charge differently. like Jim said, check it with a volt meter for a while until you get to know how you're onboard charger works. I hope this help and is what you're looking for. if you need any more help, It would be my pleasure to help. is it a new unit or have you had it awhile?
:stayncharge:
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
I took that big heavy weight onboard charger out when I got my All Charge. If I ever need to charge my batteries than I just use this...http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/VEC1089ABD.aspx If you search online you can get one for about $55. It is the best charger I found. Has an automatic float charge and everything.It's fantastic. Your All Charge will turn off when the batteries are fully charge. The charger stays on and will give your batteries a shot every now and again if need be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts