Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times during a tournament have you fumbled around in the livewell ' LOOKING ' for your smaller bass to  CULL it ? Its not always easy to secure the smallest of your fish with 5 of them in there swimming around etc ( Plus you have to be fearful of 1 or more trying to jump out while the livewell lid is opened for an extended period of time... Which this tip would reduce the time GREATLY.

I would highly suggest useing something like this to help you out greatly.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=74111&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

And if you have a spare one, its a great help to your non-boater as well ( if he doesnt have any of them ). That way he can use it on his ' CULL' .

N

·
0 Posts
I whole-heartedly agree. Fumbling around in the livewell to cull fish, and even to get them out after the tournament is over, and getting them into the Duncan Bag (shameless plug), is quite an ordeal.

With this system, all you have to do is grab the corresponding color ball, and you will have your fish.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Those markers make a WORLD of difference! I was fortunate enough to have a good boater the first time I had to cull and he had a few sets of those markers and allowed me to use them. After that I made sure to get a set of my own. Not only do they make culling easier but they make just getting the fish outta the live well easier too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
try the X-Cull system.... it is amazing, it comes with a scale that does the culling for you, it tells you what number to pull - weigh every fish, and then when you weigh your 6th fish, it tells you what fish to cull... simply great

about 120 dollars for the scale a markers

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
That link lead to a discontined notice.

I keep them separated for the cost of two nylon fish stringers. Some young guns here might not know about stringers. It's a nylon cord with a ring at one end and a spear tip on the other end. You spear the fish's lip and slide it down the line to the bottom ring. You can run the spear through the ring to close a loop around the strung fish then tie the stringer to the edge of the boat and let the fish soak alongside. Only I use them inside a livewell. I weigh each keeper and mark the weight using a black marker on the edge of the boat, bottom of the list weight nearest the spike end. It's easily wiped off with the thumb. When catching #6 I find it beats #3 from the ring end of the stringer. I slide a second stringer spear through the lips to secure the larger fish in order, remove #3 & toss it, replacing it with a new #3, rubbing out the old #3 weight for a new one. My list is updated with the one new weight, all the fish still in order of the list. I then remove the second stringer, lay the spear end of the loaded stringer across the livewell so the closed lid pins the end down. I can then lift the whole load up to show off, or cull again. When I weigh another bass I simply look at the list, find one smaller, and spend a minute replacing it. Hmmmm. That saves me what....$115?  One livewell but two using it keeping their own fish? Use two blue and two red stringers, one color for each angler, each having his own second stringer for sorting.

Jim

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
N

·
0 Posts
Jim, I am 23 years old, and I still use those old stringers from time to time. They come in handy when I don't have my basket. Them old wire baskets are nice things to have. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts