Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keith asked I would post a day on the water and yesterday I went fishing.
My day isn't much different than what has bees suggested, check out the marina for water temps (64.2), bait and bass depth at 12' to 15'. I know it's a pre spawn to spawn seasonal period and just need to reaffirm at what depth to start my day.
My lures pre rigged are 2 swim baits, a 5 foot depth and 30 foot depth range 8" Huddleston trout, 2 each of my 7/16 oz jigs one hair with barn red pork trailer and one silicone with oxblood/red flake Pitchin Kraw trailer, one T-rigged 8" Iovino snake purple/red flake, one cranking rod with snap. In the rod locker are several rods and reels for drop or slip shot, tubes, spinner baits etc to be used if needed.
I run up the dam area and check out the under water humps and major points by metering them to determine if anyones home before starting to fish. I found some good marks on a underwater island and the adjacent point at 15' and 25', sides and tops. My plan is go over the another point that I haven't run over and start there with a shallow swim bait cast over the point and retrieved parallel to the shore line in 25 feet of water and the lures path to go over the point at about 5'. First cast a slight bump. Second cast hammered by a 5+ lb bass, good start and follow up with the jig and nothing. Work 3 points and catch another 6+ , this is going to be a good day. Go over and park on the underwater island jig and worm several nice bass, nothing over 4. It's getting to brighten up and decide to return to the first point and jig fish for awhile, nothing. Decided to go into a spawning flat and check out if anything big is bedding. There are several boats working the area and decide to run back up to the dam area and look for sight fish on a saddle that runs between a point and island. The sun is up and water clarity is very good down to 10' or so and there are some beds in the area, can't see any bass on them. Try casting the deep running swim bait down to 35 feet and retrieve up hill parallel to the saddle, nothing the first pass. Turn around and jig fish the same bench and caught a really nice 9+ on the jig at 17'. The wind has picked up to 15-20 mph gusts and decide to go back to the first point and try the deeper swim bait. Feel a slight bump and crank fast and stick a heavy bass but it comes off after about 5 seconds. The wind is starting to blow a steady 20 mph and it's time to put it back on the trailer and head home for lunch.
Never fished the plastic jig, caught 1 on the T-rigged worn, 1 one the deep swim bait, 2 on the shallow swim bait and 5 or 6 on the pig & jig. Never opened my rod locker to get out the other stuff. If I had some cloud cover and wind didn't blow, may have stayed on the water longer. My skin can't take too much sun or wind anymore. Had a very good 25+lb day for 5 hours. Planned to go back today and work called. Be back on the water Monday and camp out on the bench where the 9+ was.
Tom

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Sounds like a very productive day. To bad work wants to ruin all the fun by calling ya in.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Excellent report, Tom. Would sure be hard to beat. Yes, that sun and wind takes a toll, certainly has eaten me up. I am now wearing a Pro IV long sleeved shirt, trying out the claimed SPF 50 built in. It's vented and cool, light weight. Gobbing Blue Lizard 45 on hands and face about 4 times a day.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a really good hat 50 UPF called a Derma Safe Adventure Hat, need to look up who makes it.The hat has a long back cover for the neck, good ventilation, large wide brim all around, black under side with tan outside and very light weight. Nuetrogena Ultra Sheer SPF 55 works OK and doesn't get into your eyes.
The fishing is really good now, however this weekend they will get pounded on the beds. The fish I have located should be OK for another week.
Tom
Ps; can't keep this up and will post a photo IF I get lucky and catch a
teen bass.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
sounds like a day any one would be proud of! very nice report tom,can't wait to see that TEEN when you get her.
rich

K

·
0 Posts
Nice day on the water Tom. That is what I am talking about. But no pics? C'mon man. Even 9lbers gotta be picture worthy right? :grin:

Look forward to your next report.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts