Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Of the following $90 - $100 Reels. Which do you prefer and why?

• Shimano Caenan - $89.99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shimano Citica - $99.88

• Abu Garcia Orra - $99.95

• Quantum Accurist - $99.95

• Pflueger Trion - $99.95

• W&M Skeet - $99.99

• Okuma Alumina - $99.99

• BPS Pro Qualifier - $99.99

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these reels do you (or would you) prefer? Please place your vote above. Then please share with us why you prefer that reel(s)?

What pros and cons can you share with us about any of these $90-$100 reels?

[smg id=4092]
Lews Speed Spool $89.99 Click to View

[smg id=4091]
Shimano Caenan $89.99 Click to View

[smg id=4087]
Shimano Citica $99.85 Click to View

[smg id=4093]
Abu Garcia Orra $99.95 Click to View

[smg id=4094]
Quantum Accurist $99.95 Click to View

[smg id=4088]
Pflueger Trion $99.95 Click to View

[smg id=4090]
W&M Skeet Reese $99.99 Click to View

[smg id=4089]
Okuma Alumina $99.99 Click to View

[smg id=4104]
BPS Pro Qualifier $99.99 Click to View

Let's hear your thoughts :tu

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
For starters, you left out my top pick for reels in this price range. This list is not complete without the BPS pro qualifier. The BPS PQ is, IMO, the best reel in this price range for overall quality, performance, and options. But that being said, lets move on to your list.

Lews speed spool. This is nice reel for the price. It has an aluminum frame which is very important for overall quality and long term performance. It will cast very well for folks that are skilled with their thumb. It will be a problem for those that are not quite so skilled. It only has a mag brake system and that's not as good as a centrifugal or dual system. It does come in a LH reel but only in the 6.4 ratio.

Caenan. Where do i start? This is not a bad reel when you only look at this reel, but when you compare it by price, it's not even close. The Caenen is only $10 cheaper than the Citica. That's a pack of cigs or 2 meals at mickey D's. If you directly compare the Caenan to the Citica, you will see that there is a huge quality and feature difference for a very small price difference. The caenan has a graphite frame. Graphite frames flex. They don't hold the gears and other parts in alignment as well as an aluminum frame and over time this will cause the reel to wear out much faster and will cause the reel to feel rough. They feel great when they are new, but that will not last as long as an aluminum frame. The citica has the bearing supported super free system and the HEG gearing. Either one of those feature would be worth way more than $10 difference to me, combined it should be worth twice the price. IMO, if the Citca is $100, then feature for feature, that Caenan should be about $30

Citica, You should already be able to tell that I like the Citica, read above. The citica is one of the best reels in this price range and IMO, it's the best reel on this list. One drawback is that it's only available in the 6.2 ratio. That's great for a multi purpose speed reel, but you would need to have other reels for other uses. The Citica has the time proven 6 pin centrifugal brake system. The only brake system better than that is a good dual brake system.

Orra. I'm on the fence with this reel. Like the citica, it only has one available ratio of 6.4. It does have an aluminum frame, so that's good. It's well built overall. It has a good multi disk drag system. So why am I on the fence? It's the brake system. It does have a 6 pin centrifugal brake system, but the design is not good. This is what they call the pitch brakes. Three of the tabs have springs and three are free floating. In my experience, they are noisy and prone to failure. Abu should have used the much better 6 pin system of the revos. This same pitch system is now on the winch and it's not working nearly as well as the original winch 6 pin brakes.

PT, this is another good reel that I can't really say anything bad about, but it just isn't that impressive to me. It is an aluminum frame, but it's also the heaviest reel in this list. It casts very well. It has quantums externally adjustable centrifugal brake system that works pretty good for most users, but not as well as a dual system. The drag system leaves a little to be desired, the ceramic disk is paired with a pressed fiber disk that's prone to sticking and glazing.

Trion, darn good reel. Very similar to the Citica. Aluminum frame. 6 pin centrifugal brake. available in 6.4 or 5.2 ratio. Mulit disk drag system. Drawback is that it's not available In a lefty version.

Skeet reece. What can I say? Skeet should be ashamed. I know he is an honest person. We all saw that he turned himself in for a mistake that disqualified him. He should do the same for this reel. he should admit that it's a piece of crap and should take his name off of it. I have worked on several of these already. The are just flat out rough. The handles are loose and sloppy. The frames look like rough pot metal castings. I saw several tapped holes that were not debured and were causing the spool to scrape against steel shavings. I had one that was out of alignment and the spool was stuck inside the frame. The spool could not be removed without prying it loose. The spool bearing was stuck in it's housing and was causing the reel to be in a bind. The owner of the 4 reels had lost his receipt and didn't want to fight with the warranty, so he had me try to fix them. I got 3 of the 4 working decent, but I would rather have any other reel on this list instead of those.

Okuma aluma. This is another top quality reel. It would be my top pick from this list and possibly my top pick for anything in the price range but the drawback is that this is only available in the high speed 7.3 ratio. If you want a burner reel, this is the best value going. It has a good dual brake system. a mutli disk drag and the overall parts and design are top quality. It's available in both left and right. I don't know why they only did a high speed version of this reel, but if you spend another $20, you can get the Citrix in several speeds and it's as good as any $200 reel on the market.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Yah, what Pro Reel said. The Citica would be my choice although I don't have a lot of experience with many of the others. The Citica is just a workhorse. I had one a couple years ago that was my favorite reel ever. Dependable and almost indestructable. Unfortunately, it found a watery grave in 30-feet of water at Smith Mountain Lake. I still drag for that combo whenever I'm in that area of the lake. If I ever bring it up, it'll head off to Pro Reel's to see if he can bring it back.

G

·
I like the feel and action of the quantum but do prefer the BPS pro qualifier. To be honest the best reel I have now is a quantum Bill dance edition I bought 4 years ago. Doesn't have 10 bearings and cost me 39 bucks for the rod and reel but I keep it clean and lubed and have not had 1 problem with it.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Abu because ya just can't beat em!!!!!!!!

G

·
I saw your choices and noticed you left one out, then saw that all the guys already told ya. The BPS Pro Qualifier. I own 5 of these reels and they are great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 2 of the Lew's speed spool reels---Just a great reel-great handling and super smooth!!--I am a fan of the "old" Lew's-have 4 of them and they still work and feel as they say" as smooth as butter"--will have to see on dependability with time but I am confident they will pass :thumbup01: the test

·
Registered
135 Posts
I really like the Wright and Mcgill Skeet Reese reels. They are very smooth, cast great, have a great drag, and I like the over sized reel handle. I have three off them and haven't had any problems with them at all.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If I were going to buy one of them it would be the Citica. I have owned them in the past and had good luck with them. I don't know anything about the others as I am a member of the Shimano Possey.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
I voted for the Abu Garcia Orra. I am also a big Abu Garcia fan. When these reels came out, I just had to try them, so I purchased two of them. So far they have turned out to be really excellent reels, no problems, they are smooth and cast as well as my SX series reels. I have been pleased so far with their performance and will probably get a couple more, since I have some older reels that need to be retired.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I personally cannot speak for any of the reels you've listed but I have 3 of the BPS pro qualifiers and since purchasing my first one my Revo STX's pretty much stay in the closet .

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok I edited the poll to show the Pro Qualifier in it so you can vote for that reel if you want. :tu

·
Registered
28 Posts
I voted for the Quantum Accurist as I have both the newer model and the older 501PT which I purchased after reading the Tackle Tour review of the reel. I haven't put the newer version through its paces yet but based on the permformance of the older 501 model I'm comfortable with the performance enough to have purchased the newer model. I have never had a problem with the 501 it has performed well over its years of service.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Shimano Citica for me. I own a 200E and it is absolutely the best casting, slickest reeling, smoothest drag baitcaster I've ever had (except for my Curado E7, but that's over the listed prices here :D). I love how light weight it is, how low profile on the rod it is for comfort, and how effortless it is to cast longer distances than I'm used to with other reels. It literally takes micro adjustments to the cast control knob to adjust this reel for changes in bait weight. It just feels very solidly built, and I love the way it looks as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BPS Pro Qualifier hands down. Dual brakes and cast a mile. Haven't tried the new Accurist but the gen. before these is a rock solid reel. Perfect for pitching. if set properly, you can't backlash it if you tried.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went to get a speed spool and they were out and not looking at getting any in for a while, so I picked up an Accurist. Let me tell you, it's a pretty damn good reel for the price. Dual brakes and smooth bearings. I'd buy another one, but I really want a new speed spool, too!

·
Registered
612 Posts
BPS Pro Q is slick as frog snot. I have three, they work like a champ. I have some high speed and some very high speed 7:1 and they are a dream to operate. My tournament partner has used my rod on occasion and always comments on how smooth they cast and retrieve.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This thread has been so useful to me it's unreal. Looks like the BPS PQ will be my next baitcast reel. All 4 of my Curado's are 5:1 and need a reel for my 7' Falcon Heavy I use for burning and will also use it for c-rigging. Just out of curiosity how does a dual breaking system work?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts