Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The state park that I frequent has some bruiser shellies in it. They were up on bed 2 weekends ago, and I saw 2 that were staying in the back, not dedicated to any beds, that were literally as long as some 14" bass I had just caught.

I came back 2 weekends later, after fishing the Rocky Mountain PFA the weekend between, and wasn't looking for any shellies, but was wanting to get some crappies. I had a "Grandpa's Crappie Jig" tied on, and I was fishing a rock pile that I fish a lot for bass.

I made a shot to the far side of it, where a piece of rebar comes up from the pile. I brought the jig down the side of the rebar, and got an immense thump. I set the hook, and the fight was on.

After thinking that I had a bass, I came to the realization that this was a monster shellie..........the biggest I had ever seen or caught. I got it on the dock I was fishing off of, and thought better of weighing it on the dock. I took it to dry ground, and it come out to be 1 lbs. 1 oz.

I brought it home, showed it to my Dad, and he said that it was the biggest shellie he's ever seen, and my Dad has fished some places where the shellies grow huge!

This picture has the cracker, and a 13" bass I caught the same day, on one of my homemade jigs.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
being a northern boy myself we call them bluegill on steroids.Our club we have here started stocking them to get rid of the zebra mussells in our lakes.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
It means a LOT better eating than the fish on the right. Sheer unadulterated dining pleasure. If you were taken back in time to ancient Greece and ate one you'd be executed for eating their "Thor's" meal.

Jim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a mess of those, introduce them to Mr. Crisco, and have yourself a ball. They are, in my opinion, about as fine eating as crappies, and they fight a lot better than crappies.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Catch and release into grease ;)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
i could go for a big plate full of those right now!!!!!!!!!!
might have to go bluegill fishin soon.
thanks for sharin
rich

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good looking shellcracker. Jim, a shellcracker is also known as a redeared sunfish, and that's prolly what you know it by.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Those things ought to be scaled and fried whole. I love picking those sweet bites off the bones and my wife loves the tails and might stab yer hand with a fork if you go for one.
"Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean.
Now wasn't that a dandy way to keep the platter clean?"

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
I don't remember where the post was in regards to Keith's friends bass eating 1 lb bream, it may have been in the May Post Spawn thread. The point is you are looking at a 10 inch redear sunfish or shellcracker depending on your locality.
Redear's spawn right after the bass in large colonies and love 1/2 earth worm tipped on crappie jigs. Just take a few minutes after your morning bass trip and stop by the bedding grounds and catch a batch.
We usually scale redears, cut off the heads, remove the dorsal and anal fins, clean the cavity and they are ready to fry.
Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was 11 1/2 inches, actually. The bass was a little over 13". I double-checked it. :) They haven't had a decent spawn yet. I have friends where I caught that baby at, and they had only seen one bed, and I was the one who was catching those off that bed. :cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shellcrackers are heavy little fighters, we catch them in a pond close to my house, lots of fun for sure. Fight per size the Shellcracker you are holding I bet fought much harder than that Bass and felt much bigger.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Wow, i have never seen a shellcracker before. Looks like a very huge large perch! I have never seen a perch near 13 inches though!

San :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
We've got some monster shell-cracker in Lake Seminole. There is a type of snail that lives in the massive hydrilla beds on the lake that the shell-cracker feed on. According to Mr Jack (Wingate) there have been shell-cracker caught that make most of the bass look small. Have never caught any myself and if I caught one as big as the one in the pic here - I may be tempted top change my search for bass to search for cracker - nice one!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Fish Identification
Redear sunfish (Shellcracker)

Description: Red edge on operculum ear flap. Spotted body.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Getdanet1 said:
Fish Identification
Redear sunfish (Shellcracker)

Description: Red edge on operculum ear flap. Spotted body.
That's not a complete description. LOL :rofl1: *Awesome eatin' when fried* *Awesome fight on light tackle* :rofl1: :victory:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Awesome pics! thanks for sharing! Love the comparison to the bass

and Swede, yes they are fun to catch! Haven't had the pleasure of catching one that big, but they sure put up a good fight :thumbup01:

Matilda :dance01:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts