Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes - View Single Post - The Bass Pros - Jason Quinn- Swimbait statement.
Tuesday Night Chat - Every Tuesday at 8:30pm. Come Join the Fun!
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Unknown04

Default Re: The Bass Pros - Jason Quinn- Swimbait statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart9999
The reason Quinn used the burner was to catch up to the fish that were hitting from behind & swimming toward him.
Rodney
I understood that much, but it still goes against everything that I have heard about fishing a swimbait. I understand that bass that come up to hit the lure will sometimes "push" the lure, but fishing a burner still doesn't make sense to me. According to what Jason said, you want to wait a second or two before setting the hook, because the bass tend to key in on the tail action, instead of a kill shot toward the head (which also goes against a lot that I have heard about predator/prey relationships). With that being said, if he's saying that you need to fish it more or less like a topwater bait, then allowing the bass to take the lure for even a split second will allow enough time to react, reel down, and set the hook. I proved that today when that last bass I caught.

I brought the swimbait over a rock, twitched it hard, and she was swimming toward me. I let her have it long enough for her to turn a complete 90* angle from how she had come in. She was aggressive enough that she had inhaled the lure, and the hook set was true and solid.

Unknown04 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Progressive Insurance