Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Removing Rust.

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  iamski 
#1 ·
What is the best way to remove rust??

I left my culling clips in my live well and they rusted a spot on my fiberglass in the live well?

How can i get it off?

Suggestions? Ideas? Product recommendations?

#6 ·
I know Coca Cola will take rust off of metal, might be worth trying on the fiberglass, buy a 2 litre, close off your well, pour it in there and let it sit for a day, then drain and scrub with a brush.

#9 ·
Oxalic acid is safe and very effective for removing rust. Some pharmacies carry it. The next best product for actual iron rust removal is Super Iron Out, sold in places like WalMart. When I retreat to the farm house I have to add that to wash clothes, toilet bowl & tank, tub, wherever that iron rich water goes.

#12 ·
I had the same thing happen to me Red, I used some WD-40 and one of my wifes brillo pads, it took it off and did not appear to harm the fiberglass. You dont have to rub too hard, unless the surface of the fiberglass is rough to start with.

#13 ·
For me two things are important here.

First you dont want to use a harsh chemical that may stay in the livewell, and potentially sacrifice fish the next time you go out.

Second is the fiberglass surface. You wont want to damage it.

If it were my boat, I would use a rubbing alcohol that will evaporate and rinse with water. Lightly scrub the area with a soft scotchbrite pad.

Both supplies are available at any grocery store, walmart, ect.

The rust should'nt bond to the fiberglass, it may stain a little, but the alcohol will act as a mild solvent and the soft scotchbrite should remove the stain without damage to the fiberglass.

Most important, rinse it with water and any leftover residue from the alcohol will evaporate so that you dont have any problems with fish held in the well. I always shy away from harsh chemicals in the livewell. I would hate to open it up and find some residue from a harsh chemical has killed the fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.